NYGC is hiring for a variety of positions. If you are interested in joining our innovative organization and helping it launch and grow, we would like to hear from you. Please email your cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Laboratory Technician
We are looking for a highly motivated, independent but team-oriented Senior Laboratory Technician with a strong expertise in the preparation of Next Generation Sequencing libraries for the Illumina platform.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and perform day-to-day work on the Sequencing equipment (e.g. Illumina HiSeq2000, cBots);
- Carry out procedures associated with DNA sequencing on the Illumina sequencing platform; including DNA library preparation, sample quantification & preparation, and Sequencer operation;
- Implement next generation sequencing applications for genomic DNA, targeted capture, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, small RNA-seq, and bisulfite sequencing;
- Analyze current process procedures and provide feedback for their optimization and improvement, documenting processes, improvements to methods, and troubleshoot assays as needed;
- Perform the quality control of the samples and the raw sequencing data;
- Conduct other laboratory work as needed;
- Contribute to the writing of project proposals and manuscripts describing the methods.
- Bachelors degree in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field plus laboratory experience in nucleic acid research required;
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience with Next Generation Sequencing instruments including Illumina platform;
- Solid knowledge of molecular biology equipment and related protocols (including RNA and DNA preparation, RNA and DNA quantification, hybridization, PCR, multiplex amplification and bead-based solutions);
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and LIMS-based systems for project management;
- Previous experience as a senior technician in a molecular biology laboratory preferred, exposure to bioinformatics is a plus;
- Good general laboratory and organizational skills including the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential;
- Ability to multitask is a must, along with an orientation toward teamwork and cooperation;
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills required;
- A high tolerance for change will be beneficial as NYGC is in start-up mode and the environment will morph rapidly.